Monday, April 5, 2010

City Meets Country Scotland Means Style









my garment is in the back behind the girl in the forefront.  so you can't see mine too well.  but I'll post more pictures later.  :)  but my art work is above so you can see what my designs were to look like.  I was going to layer more with chiffon but I ran out of time because I easily get overwhelmed and resort to the necessities in finishing garments. 


Sometime late last October I was sitting inside Professor Stipleman's office working on my artwork for a senior portfolio.  It was near his lunch time and Professor Hefferen came to remind him he couldn't spend too much time with me since he needed to eat before the meeting for the Scottish contest that FIT would be hosting.  Professor Stipleman turned to me and in his subtle voice asked if I were going.  "Yes, of course I'm going"  were the words that came out of my mouth.  I had seen the posters advertising the contest and had seriously considered entering but as the weeks passed my responsibilities seemed to loom over my head as they somehow always do and the contest seemed an impossible event.  but forward to that half an hour in Professor Stipleman's office I was in the right place at the right time.  I went to that meeting and fixed my mind on entering the Scottish Contest.  My inspiration was found in Robert Burns, Barren Trees and the close link between life and death.  Twelve finalists were chosen, I was among them, Christmas came and went, School began again and I started on my garment.  Today, April 5th was the awards Ceremony at the Newcomb club on 14th street.  I entered the elevator with a friend and fellow finalist, and professor Middleton, a former professor from my first and fourth semesters.  inside the elevator we met with a Scottish contest rep. along with four models wearing finalist designs, among them was my design.  We mingled, others drank, I sipped sprite, and told my friend Gislane why I don't drink.  ;)  then the time came to announce the winners.  there was a slide show being shown displaying Scottish Fashions and then all of a sudden I saw one of the finalist garments, then another, then mine, professionally shot and beautiful.  My name was announced first as the 3rd Place winner.  Walking on wabbly legs and feet I made my way to the front, shook hands with an important Scottish lady and posed to have my picture taken beside the model, my design, and the important Scottish Lady. 

Press Release-
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/prnewswire/2010/04/05/prnewswire201004051632PR_NEWS_USPR_____NY81149.html

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2010/04/01131913


http://boston.bizjournals.com/prnewswire/press_releases/New_York/2010/04/05/NY81149


http://www.rr.com/home/topicdl/dlt/0e9V9V79TUenD/Scotland

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/press-release/dint_fashion-forward-fit-students-show-off-their-scottish-style-891644.html 


 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I think that this is so exciting...and your name shows up in various publications. Talk about resume building. I can't wait to see more photos.

    ReplyDelete