Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fallen Trees All over Central Park!



I woke up Wednesday morning and prepped for a run in central park. it had been a whole month since I'd been running in the park and i was looking forward to soaking in the fresh crisp air of the park. when I hopped off the subway and made my way into the streets of the park i could see there was wind damage from a storm i has slept through the night before. what i didn't see yet were countless of huge trees uprooted and snapped in two. there were small broken branches and leaves all over the streets and then I saw a tree fallen over. It was relatively small so i thought little of it. then I saw a whole tree broken in half which had crushed a traffic light. after that there were branches after branches completely cracked in two. Policemen and a channel 2 news man were documenting the wreckage. none of us had ever seen destruction like this in central park before. I kept going with my run and about 10 minutes later near 103rd street I saw a huge 40-50 foot tree completely uprooted, that was not the only one I would see. Sad but awe struck I made my way through the park yesterday morning witnessing the damage of an 80/mhr wind storm that took it's toll on such a beautiful place like central park.

I didn't have my camera but here are a few pictures i found on line. the police and park crew began closing places off because of the damage.


No comments:

Post a Comment